Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newbies and FED and Zorki etc  (Read 5657 times)
Denmark Yuzon
HyperFocal

« on: March 05, 2009, 11:34 AM »

hi guys.. im new here.. currently looking for my very first rangefinder.. i was told to look for fed and zorkis.. i think i like the fed 2.. but worried because it doesnt have an exposure meter.. i like the fed 4 because of that.. but cant go to ebay since i dont own any credit card..

any tips for the newbie?

Mike de Vera
RF Core Member
Fotosnaiper!

Michael Learns to Shoot

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:47 AM »

hi guys.. im new here.. currently looking for my very first rangefinder.. i was told to look for fed and zorkis.. i think i like the fed 2.. but worried because it doesnt have an exposure meter.. i like the fed 4 because of that.. but cant go to ebay since i dont own any credit card..

any tips for the newbie?

ui denmark! also new here. me too, i'm looking for my very first russian rangefinder. though i have the yashica 35 gsn already. been working with my slr without a light meter for months now. okay lang naman. safest is to use the sunny 16 rule. tsaka, mas challenging.

"I like it macho!" - JefJac, 2010.

Flickr.com
Denmark Yuzon
HyperFocal

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:16 PM »

hey man.. hehehe.. you're here too? hehe.. though its love at first sight with the fed2.. i would want something with a light meter e.. since i shoot street scenes at night.. i want it  to be accurately exposed e.. hehehe.. if anyone would buy any fed in ebay, please pm me.. pasabay ako.. hehe.. ^_^

Zorkikat
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:21 PM »

.. but worried because it doesnt have an exposure meter.. i like the fed 4 because of that.. but cant go to ebay ....

The lack of a meter won't really be an obstacle.  This is a common, unfounded fear prevalent among the new users or those who want to shoot with old cameras the first time.  It's also a myth which has somehow been perpetuated in the lomo circles.

First, as previously stated here and elsewhere- and as proven by many- meters aren't essential for shooting.  Cameras for ages, and the generations of people who used them, NEVER had meters.  A meter is convenient, but its absence won't make shooting impossible.  You can always use exposure tables.  These work well in daylight and bright conditions.  Meters may be useful in situations like available light or night or indoor photography, but then again, these situations account for a minority of all the shots done.  Besides, if you're looking at a FED-2, the lack of slow shutter speeds (less than 1/25 sec) make it an outdoor-use camera for the most part.

The meters in these old cameras are, at best, only slightly useful.  The advantage gained isn't much.  The old Selenium meter in a FED-4 will likely be inaccurate now, and even when totally accurate, still won't guarantee perfect exposures all the time.  Some form of discernment is needed to set the exposures right, even when this sort of meter is used.  And often, with this discernment and thought, an exposure table is probably the better tool to use.
Denmark Yuzon
HyperFocal

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:20 PM »

The lack of a meter won't really be an obstacle.  This is a common, unfounded fear prevalent among the new users or those who want to shoot with old cameras the first time.  It's also a myth which has somehow been perpetuated in the lomo circles.

First, as previously stated here and elsewhere- and as proven by many- meters aren't essential for shooting.  Cameras for ages, and the generations of people who used them, NEVER had meters.  A meter is convenient, but its absence won't make shooting impossible.  You can always use exposure tables.  These work well in daylight and bright conditions.  Meters may be useful in situations like available light or night or indoor photography, but then again, these situations account for a minority of all the shots done.  Besides, if you're looking at a FED-2, the lack of slow shutter speeds (less than 1/25 sec) make it an outdoor-use camera for the most part.

The meters in these old cameras are, at best, only slightly useful.  The advantage gained isn't much.  The old Selenium meter in a FED-4 will likely be inaccurate now, and even when totally accurate, still won't guarantee perfect exposures all the time.  Some form of discernment is needed to set the exposures right, even when this sort of meter is used.  And often, with this discernment and thought, an exposure table is probably the better tool to use.

thanks sir for the enlightenment... ^_^

Denmark Yuzon
HyperFocal

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 06:42 PM »

is there any way you can push films with a fed or a zorki?

Zorkikat
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:52 PM »

is there any way you can push films with a fed or a zorki?

Yes.  Put film roll at edge of table, and shove with a FED or Zorki.  Film pushed...off the table!  Grin

Seriously.  Pushing or altering film speeds is not a function specific to a type of camera.  It is something you do when you set your exposures.  "Pushing" is really deliberate underexposure to some degree.  So when you set your exposures at less than normally needed, and do something during developing to compensate, you are pushing.
It's just a matter of fiddling with apertures and shutter speeds- and both FED or Zorki can do this.
Ian Glean
RF Core Member
Fotosnaiper!

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 07:24 PM »

Yes.  Put film roll at edge of table, and shove with a FED or Zorki.  Film pushed...off the table!  Grin

I almost fell off my seat... Grin

Angelo Gian De Mesa
HyperFocal

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:36 PM »

SUS Ginoo! Wag naman sana!!! Sad

@Denmark

It was one my fears to when I started with classical cameras, there was no lightmeter. Even some of my friends who use film rely on their lightmeters because it pisses the fudge out of me that they can get decent exposures easily while I still have to look at the shadows, time of day, and angle of the sun relative to my position. All the more pain when it hits the evening.
The reward though is when you produce a great shot despite not having a meter. That's the beauty of using a classic camera for me.

If an entire generation of photographers were able to live without one and produce great shots, nothing hinders us from achieving the same Smiley
Welcome to RFF  Smiley

Denmark Yuzon
HyperFocal

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:42 PM »

Thanks for the welcome sir angelo.. yes, i have that fear.. i guess motivation and inspiration and little sunny 16 there will go a long way.. hehehe

Angelo Gian De Mesa
HyperFocal

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:49 PM »

Thanks for the welcome sir angelo.. yes, i have that fear.. i guess motivation and inspiration and little sunny 16 there will go a long way.. hehehe

I appreciate you calling me sir but i'm probably younger than you are  Grin

Anyway, here is some more helpful stuff regarding exposures Cheesy http://rangefinderfilipinas.com/forums/index.php?topic=192.0

Mike de Vera
RF Core Member
Fotosnaiper!

Michael Learns to Shoot

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:16 PM »

I appreciate you calling me sir but i'm probably younger than you are  Grin

Anyway, here is some more helpful stuff regarding exposures Cheesy http://rangefinderfilipinas.com/forums/index.php?topic=192.0

hey, AG. read your sentiments too. i agree, i had been using my nikon fm without a light meter and the joy of having a decent picture, grabe. saya. haha. thanks for tips.

"I like it macho!" - JefJac, 2010.

Flickr.com
Dimitri Roleda
Bystander
Fotosnaiper!

When we think we lead, we are most led.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 02:46 AM »

any tips for the newbie?

Regarding buying from eBay without a credit card, I'm in the same dilemma as you are. However some sellers, particularly those from Ukraine & Russia, are willing to accept Western Union, and while this is quite expensive, I find it a small price to pay since there is no other way for me to purchase from them. (FYI, sending charge from the Philippines to Ukraine/Russia is usually 525Php)

The trick here is finding out which ones you can trust, as there is ALWAYS a risk of being bamboozled Tongue Especially since WU isn't allowed by eBay and so unprotected..

Check this thread as well for a list of reliable eBay stores. I personally vouch for confdntart whom I have transacted with..No problems whatsoever with this seller Smiley

Also, near the end (page 3, I think) there's a mention of the Unionbank Eon/Debit Card as being usable with Paypal, though I don't have personal experience or knowledge in this Smiley

neiL vincent monsalud
Fotosnaiper!

SpetsNaz

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:02 AM »

Just remember the Sunny 16 rule and the exposure table when shooting outdoors. Just always calculate the shadows or what zone would you want to base your exposure. Based from the Sunny 16 rule, adjust the aperture or shutter speed if you want a shallow or deeper (?) depth of field. Or capturing motion blurs. Or whatsoever.

Just shoot always. Experiment. Note the exposure in a piece of notebook/tickler if you are not on a hurry. Or remember in your brain hard drive. It is trial and error. Learn from your mistakes. Learn and learn more.

Hehe.  Grin

P.S. I wonder if my comment made any sense Cheesy
nyahaha.

Jefrey Pelagio Jacob
Global Moderator
Fotosnaiper!

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 06:34 PM »

i still use lightmeter.. minsan lang. i have my own sunny rule echos bwhahahaha

yan mahirap pag nasanay sa ae cams. Tongue mechanical the best!

FILM GUERILLA
Film Photography All Day, You Bastards!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
Film Guerilla Blog

FOLLOW US: FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR | GOOGLE+
Denmark Yuzon
HyperFocal

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 08:59 PM »

[ No Text Speak Please ] nga e.. hehehe.. i printed my own exposure mat already.. i took out the batteries in my FM2n.. and started shooting.. hahaha..

still looking for a clean FED 2.. wala nagbebenta sa marketplace board e.. hehehe.. ang hirap hanapin sa ebay nung specs na dapat hanapin sa FED 2 according dun sa post ni sir Jay na specs and features to look out for sa isang FED 2..

jeff.. u brought me disease!!! i cant stop thinking about rangefinders na.. GAS is starting to kick in again.. na contain ko na [ No Text Speak Please ] pagkabili ko ng slr ko e.. grrr.. kaw talga..! adek!

Daniel C Manicad
Baby Brownie

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 03:07 PM »

Just to revive the thread. Soviet Camera Store in FB sells CLA'd FSU rangefinders including Feds, Zorkis..etc 

I bought a Zorki 6 with J8 and it seems like a good store.  Vlad, the owner of the store, is great to talk to, so is his wife Aileen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: